Sri Lanka has always been an ideal destination for a holiday and was recently ranked as one the top ten romantic destinations in the world. Currently, Sri Lanka enjoys the third spot for being the most popular destination for weddings and honeymoons in the world. In this backdrop, if you are looking for an exotic or traditional style wedding, you have reached the ideal desk of Modern Voyages to discuss your arrangements for your special and most precious day of all to say “I do”, in a romantic and a beautiful Island outbound from your country.
Whilst considering your dream plans, we could certainly assist you to make your selection on the pristine beach, on a tea plantation, a jungle setting, on a boat cruising along a river, in a private island, or at a ceremony in a beautiful Church. The choice is yours.
IncludedDestination WeddingTransport5 Star AccommodationPersonal GuideBreakfast
Not IncludedDeparture TaxesEntry Fees
Basic requirements for the wedding
- Both individuals to be over the age of 18
- Original birth certificates along with a copy
- Valid passport with visa permitting entry to Sri Lanka
- Details including the addresses and occupation of the couple to be married along with their parents' names and addresses.
- An affidavit confirming marital status of bride and groom should be signed by a solicitor.
A Glimpse of a General Setting :
- Natural Wedding Arch (specially made marriage podium know as “Poruwa”) and duly decorated with your choice of flowers.
- Wedding Representative and Master of Ceremonies
- Traditional decorations in the gardens/beach or the environment selected for the wedding ceremony
- Authentic Kandyan Dancers & Drummers at Ceremony
- Jayamangala Gatha (Four Girls Singing Blessings)
- Registrar to officiate at Ceremony.
- Registration fees and Official Sri Lankan Marriage Certificate
- Locally arranged tropical flower bouquet & Button Hole
- Traditional Antique Brass Oil Lamp
- Bridal Hair Stylist helper
- Champagne & Fresh Fruit Basket
- DVD of the ceremony
- Wedding cake structure or milk rice with sweetmeats (limited )
- Photographs – 24 printed
- Romantic candlelit dinner
- Cocktails for bride and groom
- Floral bath
Options that can be Included :
- Sri Lankan cultural show
- Live music – saxophonist, flutist, violinist, chellist
- Freshwater boat ride
- Decorated wedding buggy where applicable
Ceremony proceedings could be as follows :
- Bride and the groom will be separately escorted from their hotel rooms to the marriage ceremony in a stunning procession performed by traditional Kandyan Dancers and drummers.
- Master of Ceremonies invites the couple to be married to the Poruwa (Specially made marriage podium), by blowing of the shell.
- The couple will exchange vows and a bunch of betel leaves Seven times marking a tradition that symbolises the love and bond which will last for many generations.
- The marriage is denoted by tying the index fingers of the couple with a gold coloured thread and water poured on it by the Master of Ceremonies from a crafted silver jug whilst singing blessings from God (Traditionally called as “Ashtaka”).
- After the couple exchange weddings bands they feed each other with milk, rice and water, a representational vow to take care of each other for life.
- To commemorate the marriage young girls dressed in the traditional Sri Lankan Saree will sing wedding songs (Traditionally called as “Jayamangala Gatha”. As a custom, the girls are given a symbolic gift.
- Now the wedded couple is invited to step out of the special marriage podium (Poruwa) amidst singing and beating of drums.
- The couple lights the traditional oil lamp to symbolise light of hope and success. This event is done in all important events and occasions in Sri Lanka.
- The married couple and witnesses, sign the marriage certificate in the presence of the Registrar of Marriages.
- End of traditional ceremony.